TunSafe Forum

Welcome to the TunSafe Community Forum. This is open for discussions related to TunSafe and the WireGuard protocol.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-05 15:35:18

Hitchhiker

Has Tunsafe gone out of business?

Both Dutch VPN servers are offline together with the German and Swedish servers. Not much else left if seems. The London and New York servers appear to be up, but neither of them will connect to the Internet.

Some indications about future plans would be handy if you have any.

#2 2019-04-05 16:39:48

wiggo
Administrator

Re: Has Tunsafe gone out of business?

Both London and New York got pretty overloaded when the 10Gbit NL went down today. It is back up and running now. Because our budget is low, unfortunately there is not much room for redundancy. We're working to get the others up aswell.

We have not really decided on how we will handle the VPN service in the long run in order to handle the large increase of users, but neither me or ludde have any greater interest in creating a commercial service with fees.

Any idea?

#3 2019-04-06 02:35:48

forumuser

A crowd funding campaign maybe?

#4 2019-04-06 13:17:31

Hitchhiker

wiggo wrote:

Both London and New York got pretty overloaded when the 10Gbit NL went down today. It is back up and running now. Because our budget is low, unfortunately there is not much room for redundancy. We're working to get the others up aswell.

We have not really decided on how we will handle the VPN service in the long run in order to handle the large increase of users, but neither me or ludde have any greater interest in creating a commercial service with fees.

Any idea?

I sympathise since I understand that running servers costs money.

If you don't want to go the commercial route by offering a paid for VPN, there are a few of alternatives.

1. Approach Venture Capital investment. That will mean they'll siphon off a slice of the profits in return for funding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venture_capital

2. Buy Me a Coffee organisation. The Waterfox browser developer uses it whereby users can make small donations by credit card: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/waterfox

3. Patreon is a similar setup: https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?c=150037

4. Accept contributions using Paypal. The Ghacks site uses both Paypal and Patreon.

Buy Me a Coffee as opposed to Patroen is the more flexible of the two since it doesn't require users to make regular contributions.

Last edited by Hitchhiker (2019-04-06 13:18:58)

#5 2019-04-06 18:50:00

wiggo
Administrator

Thank you for the suggestions. Alternatives 2, 3, 4 could be combined with access to a faster service. It could be done relatively easily by cloning the current key management system, and running a dedicated TunSafe server for those who donate or contribute to the project otherwise in a separate VM on each physical server that currently host the free variant, and prioritize the traffic to this VM.
The page for creating keys for these servers can look like the current VPN page, and that you need a "donation key" to be able to create configs / keys, but at the same time there is no requirement for recurring donations for the keys to continue work.

#6 2019-04-08 08:33:19

Hitchhiker

wiggo wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. Alternatives 2, 3, 4 could be combined with access to a faster service. It could be done relatively easily by cloning the current key management system, and running a dedicated TunSafe server for those who donate or contribute to the project otherwise in a separate VM on each physical server that currently host the free variant, and prioritize the traffic to this VM.
The page for creating keys for these servers can look like the current VPN page, and that you need a "donation key" to be able to create configs / keys, but at the same time there is no requirement for recurring donations for the keys to continue work.

I'd be more  than willing to support Tunsafe in the way you suggest.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to incorporate a Donate button to the foot of the Tunsafe client. It could either link to the payment option, or to a page where details of the faster service can be found.

Another funding option would be a BBC program called Dragons Den. Practically everybody who has appeared on that program has secured funding from Venture Capital even if they weren't successful in securing a commitment from one of the dragons. You can watch a few clips (successes and failures) to see what it's all about: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006vq92

One other thing which I think is important to ensure Tunsafe's success is good support. There are currently too many posts on the forum which have had lots of views, but no replies. That doesn't encourage users to try Tunsafe and is especially important if you want users to switch to a faster paid for service.

Similarly you need a moderator working on a voluntary basis on the forum to delete all the spam which appears from time to time. There's nothing worse than having posted a support question than to have it relegated to page 10 or more by a shitload of spam as happened once quite recently. I'd be willing to do that for you if you wish. My email address can be found in my profile.

Last edited by Hitchhiker (2019-04-08 08:34:14)

Board footer