TunSafe Forum

Welcome to the TunSafe Community Forum. This is open for discussions related to TunSafe and the WireGuard protocol.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-13 15:15:11

gogogo

Unable to open: TunSafe.conf ???

Hi,

I followed the installation guide step by step, but the last step shows below:

$ sudo tunsafe start -d TunSafe.conf
Loading file: TunSafe.conf
Unable to open: TunSafe.conf

I put my conf file in the "TunSafe/installer" where there is an original file named "TunSafe.conf". I deleted it and put the new one download from your web and rename it "TunSafe", but still get above message...

What can i do pls? Thank you!

#2 2018-11-13 22:48:18

logcabin

Re: Unable to open: TunSafe.conf ???

On Linux I use:

sudo tunsafe TunSafe.conf

Maybe OSX will work the same way.

#3 2018-11-13 23:57:29

Rainmaker

Wait where exactly is your tunsafe.conf? Did I read you correctly you placed it in the installer directory? Assuming you built from git (following the docs), place the tunsafe.conf file in your Downloads (just for now) and then try this:

sudo /usr/bin/tunsafe start ~/Downloads/TunSafe.conf

If your prompts were typed exactly how you wrote them here, you're probably just in the wrong directory in Terminal. Terminal starts in home (aka ~) and if your TunSafe binary is in /usr/bin and the conf is in (for example) ~/Downloads then typing in 'sudo tunsafe start -d TunSafe.conf' will fail because neither tunsafe nor TunSafe.conf are in the ~ directory.

If that works hit ctrl + C (to close/cancel the command) and then issue:

sudo /usr/bin/tunsafe start -d ~/Downloads/TunSafe.conf

to run it in the background as a longer term connection/daemon.

EDIT: Code tags and some clarity.

Last edited by Rainmaker (2018-11-14 00:05:22)

#4 2018-11-14 03:47:02

gogogo

Thank you Rainmaker and it WORKS!!! Much appreciated for your patient explanation.

Also thank you logcabin :-)

#5 2018-11-14 22:09:18

Rainmaker

No worries, happy to help. You may also wish to install wg-quick (the 'official' WireGuard tool) via Homebrew:

brew install wireguard-tools

I'm sure Ludde won't mind me suggesting you try both, as they're both free and open source. In my experience, for now at least, the wg-quick tools are a little easier and more multi-threaded etc. You can still use TunSafe's excellent servers with either connection tool.

If you decide to go ahead with that, you can copy or move the conf files to /etc/wireguard (where wg-quick and other WireGuard tools live):

sudo mv /Users/USERNAME/Downloads/TunSafe.conf /etc/wireguard/

and then just issue

wg-quick up TunSafe

Note there is no .conf on the end for wg-quick commands. It just assumes everything you feed it is a .conf already. Don't forget if you do this you'll have to slightly change your 'up' and 'down' commands for the tunsafe binary next time (to reflect the moved conf file). Have fun experimenting with this cool technology and its tools!

Last edited by Rainmaker (2018-11-14 22:11:47)

Board footer