TunSafe Forum

Welcome to the TunSafe Community Forum. This is open for discussions related to TunSafe and the WireGuard protocol.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-28 13:54:29

concito82

Client works well, but...

Hi.
TunSafe-Client works well with Win10 Enterprise x64. I tested it with your offered servers. But there are two things concerning the Client that does not work:

1. I still have to start the client with administratorpriviliges
2. Editing the config and for example chaning the DNS does not lead to any changes.

Do you also help with serverside installations?
I have Wireguard running on my VPS (KVM-based, rootserver) and I can connect with TunSafe to my server but I get no connection from there into www. Any suggestions what I made wrong?

I used this how-to for installation and config:
https://orcabox.com/how-to-setup-wiregu … 6-support/

and under "B. Installing latest WireGuard from Debian unstable’s repo"

I used this

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wireguard/wireguard && sudo apt-get update;
apt-get install curl jq openresolv linux-headers-$(uname -r) wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools

instead of the mentioned.

But as I told, connection to Server works well and wireguard seems to run. Only problem is connection to www.

#2 2018-09-02 05:34:41

Siavash

Re: Client works well, but...

Hi

1. Administrative privileges: I don't think there's any way they can fix this: the client needs the privileges so that it can change the routing tables of windows. Of course the same applies to linux when you want to change routing tables, but you do that with a simple "sudo" in the begining. You can enable the windows service, which registers the service under "system" account and you'll be fine, or you can allow the app to run under admin forever.

2. DNS: I think there must be a bug somewhere: I did not have this problem with IPv4, but once I set IPv6 DNS and when I cleared it, the client did not remove the DNS record from the network adapter, thus I had to remove it manually from the interface.

#3 2018-09-02 05:39:13

Siavash

For your second question about server installation:

1. Confirm if you can ping 8.8.8.8 from your client, and get a "tracert 8.8.8.8" to see if your connection passes from your server or not
2. Confirm if your DNS lookup works fine: "nslookup google.com" and see if you receive any response
3. Confirm if you have forwarding set in your VPS server. If forwarding is not enabled, your VPS will not send out anything to www. (see section D of the manual you just used)

#4 2019-01-23 10:42:28

richarz

I had the same problem, starting TunSafe with any of our Domain Users accounts didn`t work, since our users don't have admin rights and thus cannot change routes etc.
Installing the tunsafe service works, but proves to be not really straightforward.
When i start the tunsafe client as administrator and install the tunsafe service, then i still cannot make a connection when running tunsafe as (non-admin) user. I keep getting the error message that the service was installed as a different user.

What works for us right now is this:
- add user to "Domain Admin" group
- login as user on computer, install service
- remove user from "Domain Admin" group
- restart computer

Now the service is running and i can make connections with TunSafe, but only with the user that initially installed the service. It would be great if there where a way to install the service when installing TunSafe (as admin) and then being able to use the service with different user accounts.

#5 2019-02-05 00:27:26

ludde
Administrator

richarz wrote:

I had the same problem, starting TunSafe with any of our Domain Users accounts didn`t work, since our users don't have admin rights and thus cannot change routes etc.
Installing the tunsafe service works, but proves to be not really straightforward.
When i start the tunsafe client as administrator and install the tunsafe service, then i still cannot make a connection when running tunsafe as (non-admin) user. I keep getting the error message that the service was installed as a different user.

What works for us right now is this:
- add user to "Domain Admin" group
- login as user on computer, install service
- remove user from "Domain Admin" group
- restart computer

Now the service is running and i can make connections with TunSafe, but only with the user that initially installed the service. It would be great if there where a way to install the service when installing TunSafe (as admin) and then being able to use the service with different user accounts.

I'm working on fixing this for the next version.

Board footer